Saturday, March 15, 2008

Living Off the Land

I have to admit at times I've been jealous of the "compound" and all the benefits of membership -- cousins abounding, shared lawnmowers, community garden, singing and zipline parties, yard clean up activities, plenty of babysitters, shed privileges, daily family gatherings, etc. More than once (twice actually) I tried to convince Jare that he might be able to get a job at Country Coach, but he finally convinced me I could have my (yummy carrot) cake and eat it, too, here in Post Falls, without the unsavory characters found in Junction City (see photos below).










Our plan is to live off the land. I'm not talking a few pet chickens, a token garden patch, a "neat" sandbox or (big whoop) a swimming pool. We will venture "to town" twice a year. With our FIVE acres we will have fields of wheat and hives of honey (yes!); we will have goats for butter and cheese (and for mowing); we will have even tanner girls who learn what work is as they hoe, pick and churn in the outdoors. We will have a sandy BEACH on our two-acre lake. Because we will have a forest (partly old growth rain forest) we will be able to donate a preserve for posterity. No cutting, burning or harvesting in the protected areas, except for the timber for our home and our wood burning furnaces. Our water will come from our two-acre lake.

I don't know if I've been real clear on my environmental position, but it will become quite obvious once we settle on our ranch. We will not be using fossil fuels. Jare will be biking to work, the girls of course will continue to be protected from homosexuals and liberals by being homeschooled and anything we need will be grown and sewn at home. We will be selling many former "necessities", so if you have something you'd like, please let me know, or pick it up on your next visit here. (Johnny, did you still want our tv and suburban?)

There will be plenty of room in our log cabin home so please come visit. Stay if you like. It may be hard to find on the FIVE acres because it blends in so well with nature (that's it nestled beneath the green trees -- the house is greenish also). The only compensation we want is a promise that you will remain members of the JBS for life.

I so look forward to sharing more on this blog of our adventure into the reality of the 21st century. Please let me know if you need tips on wholesome activities for kids, ideas for cross pollinating your garden, suggestions for keeping your husband happy or just how to be more like me.

4 comments:

The Awkward Mom said...

Court, I'd love some tips on socializing homeschooled kids. I mean we both know how hard (but important)it is for them to fit in. Also, when would you suggest I plant my wheat?

March 17, 2008 12:14 PM

Sarah said...

Is that a shiny red suburban I see in the background?

Sarah said...

Is that black cat dead? Is that okay to eat if you don't get to it before it dies?

luke g said...

THat BIKE is sweet. I predict two futures for that bike...Jared gets a paper route to complete the journey to the past, and 2--jake manning steals it because it will make him look cooler